Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sermon Reflection | February 3, 2013














Read: Luke 4:21-30 and Jeremiah 1:4-10
Listen: Called Since Birth
Dig a Little Deeper:

Here are some good reflections from the Center for Excellence in Preaching

Bring back the 90's by wearing some awesome WWJD gear.  But when people ask WWJD, don't just say, "he would cuddle some sweet children."  Say, "he would offer a new perspective that would probably really tick you off." 

Here is some good information about the UCC and Holy Communion.  

This is probably too nerdy for most people, but hey-- it's your choice to click or not click.  The Last Supper as told by Instagram

Sermon Follow-up Questions:

So, do you have any thoughts on when to stir the pot and when to be a peaceful presence?  What are some topics for you that are worth riling people up?  What's the point of riling people up instead of just living totally peaceful and happy lives?  

Looking back, I wish I would have talked a little bit more about the difference between pacifism and non-violent resistance.  This is something I'm still trying to understand myself, which is probably why I didn't preach on it.  I am a person who is deeply opposed to violence and war, but at the same time I hope for a world-made-better.  When I look at the way Jesus spoke and acted, I know that we can't just be idle and watch the world go by the way it is, but how do we do that without opening ourselves to violence.  On one hand Jesus seemed to know-- he just walked away from the cliff, right?  But on the other hand, his death is one of the most violent in all of history.  Anyone wanna help me out?  This is deep stuff, so I understand you might not have an easy response, but give it a shot.  Give me some thoughts!  

Finally, this has nothing to do with my sermon, but it has been my love-song all week.  



1 comment:

  1. First, this version of How Great Thou Art ROCKED MY SOCKS OFF.

    One of Jesus' main missions in his time on earth was to be a voice for the marginalized. He supported the widows and the orphans. He showed compassion to the "unlovable" such as prostitutes and tax collectors. Perhaps it is with this lens that he either chose to be a pacifist or that he decided to be blunt. Paraphrasing, if you mess with me, I may just walk away. But if you mess with the oppressed, you're going to get an ear-full.

    ReplyDelete

We don't judge, so say what you think, but be respectful.