Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Saying Thank You

As my time away from home is nearing an end (I'll in Ripon for the summer!), I am excited to share a recent experience that provoked classic, college kid introspection. Last week at my sophomore women's Bible Study, my minister invited a student from "Ask Big Questions UW-Madison" to facilitate a special discussion with my group. "Ask Big Questions" is an international organization whose mission is to engage college students in asking "big questions," in an effort to promote conversations that help us understand ourselves and others. Through these conversations that goal is to ignite positive change in the world.

http://askbigquestions.org/

UW-Madison began its own "Ask Big Questions" organization this year. The student representative from the group began our session by asking us what this quote mean to us: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination. It is our light more than our darkness which scares us." --Marianne Williamson. This quote got us thinking about the tremendous power we possess and how we can use this power to impact our community and world.

Next the leader showed us this "Ted Talks"video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVCBrkrFrBE

In summary the video highlights the impact each of use can have in one another's lives in ways we do not realize. We can all think of people who have shaped who we are or who have positively impacted us at some point. But, we all too often do not bother to let these people know they are appreciated. The take home message from the clip was the importance of acknowledging those people who have positively changed us by thanking them. They may very well not realize what an impact they have had in our lives and a simple thank you may, in turn, change their life. 

Earlier in the day, I was carbon copied in an email my dad sent to a friend who was soon to retire. He had heard that she was retiring from another friend and simply wanted to thank her for the profound impact she had had on our community and let her know her work over the years was greatly valued by him. His message was short and nothing spectacular was written. However, I am sure the woman found it meaningful that he would go out of his way to say thank you for her hard work.

I hope that I can embody the example my dad set last week by reaching out to those who have impacted my life and letting them know how much they mean to me. I say thank you often for small things people do for me, but seldom do I take time to reach out to those people who have radically changed my life. I think part of God's hope for us as a community of Christians is to share the deep gratitude we have with one another. If we are the body of Christ, shouldn't we strengthen ourself by forming stronger bonds through gratitude? The act of saying thank you can feel uncomfortable, but the difference it can make in the life of the recipient is extraordinary.

The message from that night had a strong impact on me, and I hope you can consider ways to reach out to others in thanks as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We don't judge, so say what you think, but be respectful.