Thursday, September 19, 2013

Leadership


Hola! I'll keep this short because I have Spanish homework calling.

Aside from new spanish courses (among others) this semester is particularly exciting for me because I am finally an upperclassman and am beginning to take on leadership roles on campus. Specifically, I have begun to co-lead a weekly freshmen women's "small group." I'm hesitant to call it a Bible study, because it's not, though many aspects of the group are similar to a conventional Bible study.

Here's a brief rundown of what small group is at Pres House:

Each week we begin small group by "checking in" with each other (as we drink copious amounts of tea and coffee and fill up on freshly baked cookies): we hear about the highs and lows of everyone's weeks and receive updates on notable events shared from the week before. Then we re-read the scripture passage from the past Sunday's worship service and spend the bulk of the meeting discussing ideas from our ministers' sermons. Finally we close in prayer.

I was a part of small group last year for sophomore women and this year I agreed to lead a freshmen group with a friend. Our first meeting was on Tuesday night and I can happily report it went pretty smoothly. Three freshmen showed up and all of them had questions about small group, Pres House in general and basic, "freshmany"things like making friends and joining clubs.

It was wonderful to learn about each of the women's lives--I even discovered one girl is from the same hometown, Shoreview, MN, as my freshman roommate and that this girl's sister attends St. Olaf College (where I went to school my freshman year) and is a junior like me. However, though the process of leading a group, I'm learning a valuable lesson about my faith.


I'm discovering that it's a genuine challenge to lead a Christian group. What kinds of questions can I ask the group so as not to offend someone or assume too much? Can I flat out ask a person if they are a Christian? How does the group begin to dig deeper into each other's lives, beliefs and insecurities? I know all of these questions will answer themselves with time and practice. In fact, it's exciting to know we are at the beginning of what will hopefully become strong, enduring relationships with each other. I just pray that I can moderate an environment that can foster relationship building smoothly.

Small group is a unique place where students can gather with one another and with Christ to grow as a group toward God. It's hard to find an similar environment elsewhere on campus. I feel fortunate to be a part of this group and seek God's guidance as I do my best to lead others.

Also, if you have any leadership tips, I'd love to hear them. :)

Adios, es la hora para espanol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We don't judge, so say what you think, but be respectful.