Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Moment When Someone Has Blessed You

A highlight of my life was when I spent a summer during college with the Experiment in International Living in France. 

My French parents were lovely people who did everything they could to make me feel at home. Moussette was my “sister’s” nickname. Her married brother Claude and his wife Helene were among other special family members. 

One evening when I was staying with them Fridolin, my second cousin from Germany, came to see me. I easily sensed the family’s discomfort having a German in their home. After all, the Germans had occupied their town and maybe even their house about 20 years earlier. But Claude in his gregarious way invited me and my cousin for a drink in their apartment before Fridolin and I went out to dinner. He graciously accepted Fridolin regardless of the past. 

Norm and I visited my French family several times since then. The last time we were there I asked if we could see Claude. Helene told me that his memory was no longer reliable and that he might not remember me.  He and Helene met us outside as they came out of their house. I greeted him with a huge smile, which he returned, as he said, “Susie! Susie Boothroyd!”

The family all called me Susie, but my difficult last name was rarely mentioned. How could he have remembered it?? We gave each other a warm hug and went inside for a few minutes. Claude gave me such a blessing because he happily remembered me. Our friendship had lasted over 40 years of time, as well as through his decline of memory. I would like to think that my visit blessed him, too. He surely seemed happy to see me!

Can you think of a particular time when someone blessed your life in a special way, or you blessed another? 

~Sue

1 comment:

  1. I had an incredibly memorable 21st birthday that I spent with my grandpa.

    First, some background. My grandma is quite the talker who easily dominates a conversation, while my grandpa is quiet and thoughtful. They had a standard relationship from that era, where Grandpa went to work (he was a physicist and spent the majority of his career working in research at Whirlpool) while Grandma stayed home to raise their 3 sons and daughter. To this day, Grandma prides herself in her fashion and her meticulously clean home.

    When I heard that Grandma would be away for a few weeks traveling abroad, I took advantage of the opportunity over my college spring break to visit Grandpa. It was a rare treat to have some one on one time.

    I don't remember what we talked about, but I remember coming in the house after running some errands to a birthday feast prepared for me. Grandpa had bought a pre-roasted chicken from the grocery store and made a long-distance international call to ask Grandma how to properly heat it.

    I was so touched that he would go so far out of his way to show me how much he loved and cared for me. He has passed away since then, but I frequently think back to his simple, beautiful gesture that continues to mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete

We don't judge, so say what you think, but be respectful.