Monday, April 1, 2013

Sermon Reflection | Easter Sunday

Hi Friends!

We had a beautiful Holy Week at the First Congregational Church of Ripon!  Of course, in all the hubbub, I took zero photos.  No photos of the Last Supper table set at the front of worship with candles for a Tenebrae service.  No photos of the altar completely stripped at the end of the service.  No photos of the Ripon Area Ministerial Association leading the community through the seven words from the cross on Good Friday.  No photos of the Easter Lilies and bright flowers arranged by our talented florist and decorator, Sallie, on Easter morning.  No photos of the Easter breakfast put on by our CE committee and Sunday school class.  

Oh, actually, I took this photo of the Maundy Thursday bulletin, the content of which is adapted from a liturgy by the Rev. David Bahr.  Is that a weird thing to take a photo of?  Oh well, here it is


But afterall, even if this is the only photo I have, the proof is in the pudding.  What does that even mean?  Okay, well I'll say this instead: the proof is in the members of the First Congregational Church.  In the events of the last week, we've been transformed!  I hope that's good enough! 

Oh, also, I'll share this photo that I saw on Facebook that made me laugh out loud.  I don't know if you have the same sense of humor as me.  So if you don't think it's funny, just think about how it's true.  Jesus was killed, but then he rose again.  Great news!  Hallelujah!  


Which leads us, with no further ado, to my Easter Sermon.  

Read: Luke 24:1-12
Dig a Little Deeper: 
I must say, it is very difficult to write a sermon about the events of Sunday while going through the events of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  Maybe it will get easier the more times I have to do it?

I want to dig deeper with this, but I must admit I'm on my way out the door to attend Eden Seminary's Convocation and Herbster lectures.  All three of us will be making the 6.5 hour drive down to St. Louis to see friends and attend the lectures.  I am delighted!  But that means my blog-writing time is coming to an end.

Keep the conversation going!

--Pastor Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

We don't judge, so say what you think, but be respectful.