Monday, January 28, 2013

Sermon Reflection | January 27, 2013


Read: 1 Corinthians 12: 12-31a and Luke 4:14-21
Listen: Is It That Easy?
Dig a Little Deeper:

A Wikipedia article on Congregationalist Polity, that tells you a bit about what it means to function in an autonomous, yet covenantal way.

Another Wikipedia article, on the Body of Christ.  Okay, I'm just going to come out and say it-- I love Wikipedia. 

Some words from Kate Huey.  I seriously just cannot get enough of her beautiful writing.

Some information about the Open and Affirming process that we will be discussing for the next two years.  
   
There are a few other topics that are interesting me this week that I wanted to include in this blog:

Lillian Daniel, a preacher and theologian I look up to, just came out with a new book called, "When 'Spiritual but Not Religious' is Not Enough."  I, for one, will be reading this book!  I hope you'll join me!  But, for now, check out this video and interview

The President's second inauguration really hooked me this week, and in the same episode as Lillian Daniel's interview and video ^^ there was a brief conversation about religion during the inaugural address.

Sermon Reflection:

In many ways, this sermon was meant for this particular congregation about to attend an Annual Meeting, so if you're not a member of the congregation you might feel a little left out of this one.  But at the same time, these are questions we all need to be asking.  How do we, as individuals, as a church, or in our own workplaces, groups, etc. define our mission and our identity?  What are some ways that we can effectively self-analyze and vision for the future?

What part of the Body of Christ are you?  Why?  

For you, who are the captives, the blind, the oppressed, and the poor? 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Lillian Daniel. Her Huffington post article last year (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lillian-daniel/spiritual-but-not-religio_b_959216.html) was snarky and not always taken particularly well, but I think there's a lot of truth in sticking with a community that challenges you. I'll have to look into that book!

    ReplyDelete

We don't judge, so say what you think, but be respectful.