Thursday, January 17, 2013

So what exactly IS Christian Education?

"Christian Education" is a funny thing, isn't it?

I mean, educating an identity--any identity, really--is a funny thing. Some people are Christian, some aren't. Some aren't sure what they are. Some feel drawn to Christianity some days more than others, and--if you've been following this week's NPR series on the rise of the "nones" (another really interesting [and important] discussion, if you ask me)--some consider Christianity more a part of their past than their present.

So we've got an identity. And for many people in various places along the "Christian identity" spectrum mentioned above, we've got some sort of education. Sunday School, Bible studies, books of all kinds, movies, retreats, and gatherings all serve, in some way, as a method and means of education into what it means to identify with this religion/community/way of life. And that's where we start to get ourselves in trouble.

Being human means that we get caught up from time to time in worrying that we're doing something "right:" that we're feeding our kids well, that our parents are being cared for, that we're doing our part to keep God's Creation beautiful. And just like it extends to education in general, our concerns for doing something "right" will just as often extend to Christian education.

What does doing it "right" consist of? For some, it means memorizing as many Bible verses as you can. Telling those great stories we remember learning in Sunday School. Singing the "Good Old Hymns."  For even others, it means making sure our kids are willing to say grace before dinner and bring an offering on Sunday. Oh yeah, it means that they'll be well behaved all the time, too. *cough*

For me, I think Christian Education is many of these things. But I also think that Christian Education is something larger. Christian Education, primarily and fundamentally, is about learning how to recognize God in, around, and among us. That's why we learn so many of the Bible stories--through them, we see how God was at work with others that are a part of our world, our larger history as a community. That's why we sing those hymns--these are the most heartfelt testimonies of others of how God was/is/will be working in lives. And (spoiler!) it's not something that can--or should--be done by one person at one department at one church. It's something to be done by all. 

We are a part of the family of God. We are God's own. If nobody else can see the movement of the Holy Spirit at work in this world, we have to stand up and say, "I see you, God. I see you at work in the world. I see what you're doing, God, and I won't just sit idly by." And if we can do that after reading together, beautiful. If we can do with towels on our heads, dressed up as shepherds in a Christmas pageant, awesome. If all it takes is coming together as a community for a fun afternoon of ice-skating for us to see the work of God in our lives, than I think my job is complete.

What does doing it "right" mean to you with regard to Christian Education? What are your most memorable "epiphanies" from any of your CE experiences? Questions, comments, recipes?

11 comments:

  1. Really great blog entry, Allie. I LOVE the reminder that Christian Education is done by all-- a point that, not by just one person. To go with that, and I think you implied it as well, that CE is done ALL THE TIME.

    Something I've been thinking a lot about is that if it is done all the time, then it must start from the time our little ones are teeny-tiny. That's why, even though she doesn't understand me, I like to tell Evelyn (18 months now) Bible stories and stories about saints and good people, etc. I like to tell her out loud who MLK Jr. is even though she doesn't understand. I like to teach her to pray, even though for her it's just another finger game. These are the building blocks that make our world make sense as we grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to edit, and I don't know what's wrong with that second sentence. I think it's supposed to say, "not just by one person--a point that I hope to teach this congregation this year.

      Delete
  2. Also, "Recipes?" Hahaha...I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Christian educator, I say "Amen"! Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point that Christian Education should primarily be about learning to recognize God in our daily experience.

    One aspect that I appreciate about the conservative church I grew up in is that memorizing the books of the Bible and Bible verses was a big component of our education. When I was in high school, we even memorized the entire Sermon on the Mount! Now I subscribe to the camp that the context around those individual verses is just as important, but it is still comforting and helpful to have mini-truths pop in my head as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! I'm glad things struck a cord.

    Joanna, I've often gotten criticized for doing things that are "over-the-head" of some of our youngest--but what I've found, be it in dance or music or Sunday School, when you're excited, they're excited, and you'd be surprised at what ends up being learned and absorbed!

    Stephanie, I totally agree with you. While I'm a context person, I've always appreciated having rote verses, prayers, etc. to go to in times when I couldn't come up with words myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming from someone who is kind of "on the edge" of Christianity but who also grew up in Sunday School and went to a Christian college, I think one of the things that bothers me the most about Christian education (or most of what I have seen anyway) is the lack of willingness to seriously consider or study the profoundly beautiful and spiritual things that non-Christian artists, scientists, writers, etc. are doing/have done. In some churches I think it is due to fear: if people are taught to think critically about "non-Christian" things they might start questioning their beliefs. I've been a part of (and have done research on) a lot of mainline and more progressive churches that fall into the same old Sunday School story routines, too, though (at both the child and adult levels). The value of those stories and the traditions surrounding them is another topic to be addressed separately, but in mainline churches that wouldn't otherwise be afraid of people questioning, I think it is a lack of creativity that gets Christian education stuck in the same ruts over time. It's just easier to do different variations of the same thing. Since we've only been in Wisconsin a few months, we obviously haven't been a part of this church long enough to know what kind of history it has of Christian education and challenging people. I would love to see more opportunities to learn about and discuss the work of artists, scientists, etc. who are/have been influential in the world but who weren't/aren't necessarily orthodox Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I definitely agree with the "over the head" comments. I'm always amazed at what Sawyer understands despite his lack of vocabulary. I think kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I used to teach Sunday School we occasionally referred to MLK and other historical figures who we could view as acting at times in Christ-like ways. But more often we focussed on what Jesus calls us to do on the playground: Who gets to be first in line to go up the slide; who is last? Also, how is the student treated who has no friends, who bathes less often. Do we join the "rabble" in mocking him or her, or does Jesus call us to reach out? For me our challenge as teachers and as students is to hear, as Stephanie said, the lessons "pop" when we least expect them or are most apt to ignore them. Thanks Ally, for what you offered above and for what you are giving our church. I LOVE your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many good points have been made previously about the importance of the community participating in Christian education. There are numerous benefits of the informal education we provide students or new Christians through ice skating and the like. However, we have to make sure we don't let the pendulum swing too far to the other side. Leaders trained in Christian Education are invaluable to our churches. I'm sure we can all provide examples of what is passing for CE in a church that haphazardly approaches educating the congregants.

    ReplyDelete

We don't judge, so say what you think, but be respectful.